Saturday, June 13, 2009

What's for dinner?

How about a Spinach, Mushroom & Artichoke Pizza with a Garbanzo Bean Salad. Well that's what we had last night and it was tasty.

I'll start with the Bean Salad

BEAN SALAD

*1 15 oz can of drained, rinsed Garbanzo Beans (a.k.a. Chick Peas)

*1 cucumber peeled, diced into cubes

*1 small red onion, chopped

*1 tomato, chopped

*1 handful of fresh cilantro, chopped

*drizzle with olive oil, mix

*squeeze 1/2 of a lemon on top, mix

*add a splash of balsamic vinegar
*sea salt & ground black pepper to taste
Mix and chill before serving

This salad, without the beans/chick peas is one of my favorites...so you could leave out the beans and it's still delicious. (the beans are just a great source of protein)


PIZZA
You can certainly make your own pizza dough, buy it in the section of the grocery store with the cinnamon rolls and biscuits or grab a pre-made pizza crust like I did. It was hanging on the end aisle (at Kroger at least)


Preheat oven to 400



I brushed the pizza (thin crust) with E.V.O.O(extra virgin olive oil) & set aside


*chop 1 small white onion, 3 cloves of garlic(we LOVE garlic), 1 pkg. of baby bella mushrooms/you can use button mushrooms as well,

Transfer to skillet lightly coated with E.V.O.O, cook on medium high heat about 10 minutes until onions are transparent

Now add a large handful of spinach (sorry I don't use measuring cups if I don't have to) sautee mixture for 3 additional minutes or until spinach is wilted

*While that is cooking, add 1/2 jar of artichoke hearts, chopped, to your pizza along with some small chunks of mozzarella cheese (I add some cheese here so that the toppings stick to the crust and your toppings do not slide off your slices)


Next cover the cheese and artichoke hearts with your onion, garlic, spinach, & mushroom mixture and spread evenly...


I sprinkled McCormick's Grill Mate Seasoning on top before I grate the mozzarella. It was Garlic & Onion Medley, use whatever you would like, or just salt & pepper would work, too.

Add Mozzarella on the top of the pizza...

Slice a tomato very thin and place all over pizza.

Place in oven for 20-25 minutes. I cook my pizzas on a piece of heavy duty foil instead of a pan. It forms a crunchy crust, you can grab each side of the foil and take it right out of the oven (no mitts required) and clean up is 1-2-3 just toss the foil & you're done.


Here is the finished product....





Yum, even Miss Priss enjoyed a slice!

2 comments:

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

This pizza looks super yummy! I think you should mail me one :)

missy said...

I can't wait to get moved in to our house so I can "really cook" again!! This looks right up our alley....and that salad WITH the beans is one of my ALL-TIME fav summer salads.....just delish!

Will I ever see you again, Miss Mam??
I've had your bday present for almost 3 weeks now...guess I could mail it....It's been in my glove box just hoping to see you and Priss soon.

I'll be on that side of the universe Friday for lunch so maybe I can put it on your doorstep??