Tuesday, July 7, 2009

One Chapter Closed

1 mo.

Today a chapter was closed in Averee's book of life.

I sat back in amazement and thought of what my body had accomplished for
a little over 15 1/2 months.

Something that if you would have asked me about 2 years ago, I would have laughed in your face. I was not sold on the fact of breastfeeding, the mire concept of it was....well, bazaar.

It wasn't until the middle of my pregnancy that I read a book about the benefits and started to think...maybe, just maybe. Then, there was promom.com the 101 reasons to breastfeed your child. Seriously, if you read that and don't at least attempt it, well I think you may be a bit coo-coo. :) Then there was support from friends. And before I knew it, I was in the hospital, crying because it was one of the most difficult things I had tried. Yes, it was difficult....I had a 9+ lb. newborn that was HUNGRY. It was new to her, it was new to me. I had nurses and lactation consultants and friends hands on my ta-tas trying to help me out. It was a struggle. At one point she was starving, screaming and turning a nice shade of purple. This is the color you get after red. Needless to say I was at a loss, so we gave her some formula. I thought I had failed at something I wanted to accomplish. The hospital is the furthest thing from a calm environment. People in and out, nurses, doctors. Some busy people. I didn't have any idea that you should try and feed your itty bitty new baby on a schedule, like um every 2 hours. Before they even get hungry, thus avoiding the inconsolable episodes. So a sip or two of formula to start her off and some switch-a-roos back to the boob, learned the proper latch and we were in business. Then we became pros and it was smooth sailin'. At least I'll know this for baby # 2 & 3 & 4. Ok, I don't know about 4, but we'll see!

So, 4 days later we headed home and with each passing day, maybe week...that's more realistic for how I felt after the c-section... things became easier, big thanks to baby language, too.

And while I sometimes thought I would never get a full nights rest again...in my life... I had to be proud of my self. Afterall this was the most SELFLESS thing I had ever done. Putting all vain thoughts to the side. Why wouldn't you want to nourish your child with what your body naturally provides? I know it's because our culture doesn't accept breastfeeding as freely as others. Sadly breasts are viewed here as sexual objects first. To each their own, I'm just happy I stuck it out.

I believe the lack of times Miss Priss was sick was do to BFing. She even had the flu for crying out loud and was back to normal by day 2, I'll thank BFing again.

My little chunker remained in the 95% for her weight for the longest time, yep you guessed it....thanks again to the boob.

From a 9lb. 4.2 oz. healthy newborn baby to a 22 lb. 15 1/2 month old. What an accomplishment. I didn't think I would be sad, but it was the last thing holding us together. Now she doesn't need Mommy before she goes to bed, or as soon as she wakes in the morning. She's a big girl now. So this chapter closes, but what a happy, healthy start to the rest of her life.

I love you Tootsie!


love,
Mama

3 comments:

Lisa said...

It is bitter sweet isn't it. It is truly amazing that a mother can make everything her baby needs. God is good! Before you know it you will be nursing another one :)

Andréa said...

Damn proud of you girl! God is good and you ans A did a great job!!!

Michelle said...

I am so proud of you Lindsay. You should feel very accomplished. I truely believe that nursing my babies has been the most rewarding and fullfilling thing I have ever done in my life. I love that it bonds you two together long after the pregnancy is over. It truely is the most selfless act as well, so you should be so proud of yourself for sticking with it! Now go enjoy your freedom! XOXO