Thursday, August 27, 2009

Oh here we go....

Dear Miss Priss,
Before you were born I thought about what it would be like to have you in this world with me. I watched other kids and said my famous line.....my kid will NEVER act like that.

Then after you were born I got to experience what it was really like to have a baby of your very own. I understood a little better what life was going to be like. But just a little. I still watched as friends kids, kids in public, kids in general......threw fits, whined, cried and yet again I came up with the same line.....my kid will NEVER act like that.

Month by month things changed, milestones were met, pages in your book of life were turned....and still my child will NEVER act like that. Dr. S. warned us that those terrible two's could start early since you were a little ahead of your age group, but I was hoping it would never happen. Ever. My daughter will never yell from her highchair in a crowded restaurant, throw toys, lay on the floor and throw a W.A.F. (wild arse fit), tell me NO, learn to slap anything in her reach when reprimanded for something she has done wrong. Never, not my daughter.


So over the past month we have shown our true blue toddler colors, the colors that you do not see.... until you're right before them. Those pesky colors that you see on other kids and not your own. Well today Miss Priss had ALL the colors of a toddler. Maybe it's normal, but it brought me to tears. Really saddened my heart. For a few weeks now when we tell Miss Priss no, or even change the tone of our voice in the slightest to let her know she doesn't need to be doing that, or place her in time out........... she gets mad and slaps whatever is in her reach. Which I can deal with, I don't like it, but I CAN deal with it. Until it involves someone else.


Today it happened to be a little noggin....a 6 mo. olds noggin' And I cried. Strike 3 little girl, yes strike 3. 3 times you have slapped at someone when you are being told NO. It may be the slightest thing as in Tootsie don't touch or that's not yours....and oh my she must slap her hand on something. Don't get me wrong she is still sweet as pie when she's not being told she cannot do something. She still shares as much as she knows how, she loves to hand out toys, she gives great kisses, says please and thank you. She's just a toddler! Guess I miss the days when she was just a baby crawling around on the floor with not a care in the world except when it was time to eat and sleep.

I know it's your age and I know from what I have read and what I hear it's normal and you must stick to your guns with discipline if you do not want a hellion of a child. I will continue to do so and I know it will work. And I will go with the flow and become a broken record when it comes to trips to time out....and that's fine.

I don't believe in spanking, I don't think it solves anything.


I guess I am just sad because my child would have NEVER acted like this in my eyes. The truth is that it's just a part of life and a part of parenting that everyone must experience and how you choose to deal with it is up to you. However, it does not erase the fact that it breaks my heart.


Miss Priss please stop growing, don't turn into such an independent little lady, listen when Mommy tells you no and don't throw a fit, don't scream because your voice is so very high pitched that it hurts our ears, don't tell Mommy NO, but please don't ever forget that we love you very much. Now Amazon here I come, apparently I need to read some new books. You cannot learn enough, read enough, find out enough new parenting tips, advice, etc...... in my opinion at least. Of course personal experience seems to be a great as well. So we'll continue to take each day at a time, make sure nap time is at 12:30 each day...this seems to make the biggest difference in the entire world.
As for now....pray for us :)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

He won't remember it....hopefully. ;)
I love you!

Lisa said...

All I can say is - yes its normal and soon she wont do it. We are right there with you... remember Emma bites! Thankfully that seems to be slowing down and usually its only directed at her sister. Oh and my advice... don't fly anytime soon. Emma showed us her true toddler colors on the plane! :)