Friday, November 18, 2011

My Itty Bitty's Birth Story

This day feels like it came so quickly. 9 months pregnant and yet I don't even feel like it. Well, I guess some days when my back aches and my feet are to tired to walk anymore... I do feel it.
I however walk more than most pregnant women even dream of. Walking about 40 miles a week at work....is a lot of walking.
Today at 11:30am my preparation for my scheduled c-section will begin. Then shortly after we will meet our "itty bitty". Miss Priss is so excited, and very inquisitive on how baby sister will come out of my tummy.
Praying for a healthy baby for us to love on.....
A few years ago when Miss Priss was born, they had to preform an emergency c-section so I was a bit anxious about the whole procedure. I had some complications with the medication and ended up having to be put completely to sleep when Miss Priss was born so I really didn't know what to expect. Even as much as I read and talked to friends who had been through a scheduled, routine c-section I was nervous. I was fine up until they had prepped me and I was waiting for the Dr. to come in to tell me that I could be wheeled to the room for surgery.
I think those last 30 minutes felt like a lifetime. I was sweating, and think I had as close to a panic attack that I have ever even thought of having. I found myself saying in my head....I don't want to do this, I think I just want to go home. Hubby was in the room and as much as I tried to remain calm I felt like I couldn't breathe. He asked me if I was nervous and I said Oh yes....then there was a light tap at the door and it was Dr. C. I knew there wasn't any turning back now. Off to surgery we went, they told Hubby they would come and get him in a few minutes after I was ready.
The room was freezing and as I was wheeled in the anesthesiologist(Dr. G) said 12:01. Dr. C said hello, are you ready? They all explained everything that was going on. Step by step. They were all aware of my complications with my first pregnancy & so comforting in assuring me that it was a different approach and a spinal this time which should be an immediate numbing. That was the problem before, they didn't hit the correct spot on my spine to numb me for surgey, resulting in me being put to sleep. This was not the case this time. Dr. G had me sit up on the table and arch my back, leaning forward as much as possible with my chin tucked under touching my chest. Then he cleaned the area where the needle would go in and in a few seconds they layed me down on my side and quickly rolled me over to the operating table. It was instant, I couldn't feel anything from the chest down. He did tests several times to make sure the numbness didn't rise above where it was suppose to. I was finally at peace, relaxed and completely comfortable. I felt tears roll down my face and I knew within minutes I was going to meet my itty bitty. They asked a nurse to "go get Dad" and then Hubby was right at my side. He was just as I had asked him to be...camera in one hand, video camera in the other. He was not going to miss a beat. Dr. C informed me that she was starting surgery. I remember shaking so badly, again Dr. G was right there to cover me with warm blankets, which he changed several times so that I was never without a warm one. I remember thinking I have to write this man a thank you note, ha!
We played Adele on the iPod dock, it was so overwhelming. Such beautiful music to have your child born to. I love Adele!
After about 20 minutes Dr. C said, "Dad, get your camera". Poor hubby was just involved in watching and I said BABE....CAMERA. He said, huh, oh..ok.. It was kinda cute to see that no matter if it's not your 1st baby they are just as excited and nervous as before. I became really emotional and slightly light headed......
then I heard the most beautiful sound that I had been praying for, for so long.
Her cry.
Hubby said, she's beautiful babe, she's beautiful.
She was here, 10 fingers, 10 toes, a full head of black hair & a good set of lungs.
8 lbs. 13 oz.
20 inches
born into this world at 12:34pm
a few ounces smaller than her sister, but still a big girl. What can I say...I have big babies! They hide in there, because that's Dr number 2 that we have fooled into thinking I had a 7lb baby!!
Hubby followed her over to get cleaned up and kept the video camera rolling, pictures snapping and a happy giggle from him made me smile from ear to ear.
We were now the very proud parents of 2 beautiful blue eyed girls.
Dr. C finished up surgery on me, she cleaned up the scar tissue from my 1st csection and then it was off to the recovery room to be monitored for an hour.
My Mom, Dad, Miss Priss Allison & Erin were there waiting, too. A huge thank you to my friends for being there at the perfect time to snap pictures of my big girl meeting her little sister for the first time. That was priceless and I will never forget her face.
The next few days were rough, as I remembered from before. This time however was much easier than before. I did forget about the itching, OH THE ITCHING. Side effect of the medicine. Thankful that both friends that were there with me were nurses, so when I knocked my wires off accidentally and set off an alarm they were right there to reattach me! :)
We spent 3 days in the hospital, the nurses were great, Dr. C came to check on me everyday. She's pregnant also, due in 3 1/2 weeks!
My parents came to stay for 9 days and keep Miss Priss and I can't thank them enough for doing that. So thankful for everything they do for us, I am blessed to have parents like them.
The last day when we headed home I was full of emotions for many reasons. Joy was my main reason, I was so happy to have a healthy baby that I had prayed for. A loving husband, wonderful parents that had cooked, cleaned and taken excellent care of my oldest, fed the dog and cats even bought me a new pack-in-play, set it up next to my bed and had it all ready stocked with diapers and wipes......I really am blessed!
Welcome to the world Itty Bitty, welcome to our family, you have already made our life so much richer! Here's to a wonderful lifetime with you sweet girl!!!

1 comment:

Meant to be a mom said...

She is just beautiful. I don't blame you for being freaked out. It sounds like you did a great job though. I love birth stories, so much fun to read. Thanks for sharing. I really need to send your girls something special :) I'll get to working on that :)